News Ticker

Menu

Travellers! Where Do You Hide Your Money?

 Travellers! Where Do You Hide Your Money?





Summer is nearly here, the holiday/vacation season is about to begin (at least in the Northern Hemisphere). If you go away, you have to solve the question of how to take your money with you, where to store it. I may not be the best advisor considering the fact that I had money (twice) and a camera (once) stolen during my travels. But as I mentioned in my respective posts, I had the bad luck of encountering master pickpockets against whom even smarter travellers wouldn't have had a chance. Even though I'm at the short end of the stick, I can't but admire them.
---
I own a money belt. But I don't use it any more. I've found that it isn't good. The opening is very small and it can only be used for banknotes. I haven't got a bum bag. It looks silly, can easily be opened from the back and the front by pickpockets when the traveller's attention is diverted. Now I use a pouch. The German term is Brustbeutel which translates as 'breast bag'.
My specimen is made of grey nylon, has an adjustable string, measures 17x14 cm, has only one main pocket and a smaller one in front of it and is closed with a strip of velcro. I usually put my money in the front pocket and my identity card and credit card in the one at the back. The pouch doesn't disturb me at all. When we were on holiday/vacation the last time, I wore it every day for ten days.
You can get expensive pouches made of silk or leather, but I wouldn't buy them. An expensive pouch doesn't mean more safety. If the pickpocket cuts the string from behind and pulls the whole thingy out of your collar, you'll lose the expensive pouch together with your money and documents!
I've seen (mainly young) people in summer wearing only an undershirt and their pouch openly over it. You'll agree that this is not very wise. I also think walking around like this in cities and away from the beach is ugly, if not repulsive. I don't have too much pity with these people if they're robbed. It serves them right.
So under the undershirt with the pouch?! Not much better if your neck is bare and the string shows. I always wear blouses or shirts with collars so that the string is hidden for the casual observer. It isn't hidden for the professional pickpocket, of course, looking out for it! If I know that I'll be somewhere especially crowded where pickpockets abound, I tie the string round the strap of my bra and stuff the pouch under my belt into my knickers. Braless people can wear the pouch shoulder-holster-style to avoid showing the string.
No pickpocket has ever touched my pouch. That's at least something, isn't it? Using a pouch wisely means to make it a bit more difficult for 'long-fingers' to get at your valuables. Pickpockets must work quickly. If they can't steal anything quickly, they'll try the next person. This is the so-called St. Florian's principle named after a saint from the 3rd century AD (no idea why). He's the patron of fire brigades. 'Holy St. Florian // spare my house // set fire to another one!'

By:Softtravel tourism 

Share This:

Softtravel Tourism

I'm Softtravel Tourism. A full time web designer. I enjoy to make modern template. I love create blogger template and write about web design, blogger. Now I'm working with Themeforest. if you want this templates contact me in gmail:softtraveltourism@gmail.com.

No Comment to " Travellers! Where Do You Hide Your Money? "

  • To add an Emoticons Show Icons
  • To add code Use [pre]code here[/pre]
  • To add an Image Use [img]IMAGE-URL-HERE[/img]
  • To add Youtube video just paste a video link like http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0x_gnfpL3RM