News Ticker

Menu

for me/ panama article



‘For me, a road signifies escape –
I’m not really interested in its origin or
its ending, only in its continuation


Panama
Panama’s slender canal is its most famous feature, but the nation is long and sharply curved, such that it places Atlantic waters in the west and Pacific seas in the east. Back on a bus, I looked out on to grazing cattle and miles of root crops and fruit plantations.
On breaks I could feel the prickle of the humidity; the mercury was nudging 30°C.

But beyond were always bottle-green mountains, suggesting the southern highlands of Panama are well watered.
Panama City came as quite a shock.
You see skyscrapers from a distance and then, suddenly, you’re on a high bridge over the canal; huge container vessels glided slowly beneath. I spent a night in the old city and then took a train across the well-preserved jungle corridor that borders the canal. The next day I came back by road and stopped at a park to see alligators, sloth, parrots, monkeys and dozens of tanagers and flycatchers.

I was now on the final straight of the northern Panamerican Highway. In theory the road runs for around 48,000km from Prudhoe Bay in Alaska to Ushuaia, at the southern tip of Tierra del Fuego in Argentina. But in Central America it comes to a halt when it meets the Darién rainforest. I was quite glad to make it to Yaviza and find myself stopped by the Darién Gap. I’d clocked up at least 2,700km in two weeks. Had I gone too fast? Had I seen too little? I don’t think so. Because I wasn’t trying to get anywhere.


For me, a road signifies escape; I’m not really interested in its origin or its ending, only in its continuation. An ‘open’ road is like an open book, full of possibility. For a fortnight of freedom and fun, I’d put off decisions and crises, and indulged in the ultimate road movie – the scenes of everyday life and natural beauty flickered through the windscreen, always changing, always new.

Share This:

Softtravel Tourism

I'm Softtravel Tourism. A full time web designer. I enjoy to make modern template. I love create blogger template and write about web design, blogger. Now I'm working with Themeforest. if you want this templates contact me in gmail:softtraveltourism@gmail.com.

No Comment to " for me/ panama article "

  • To add an Emoticons Show Icons
  • To add code Use [pre]code here[/pre]
  • To add an Image Use [img]IMAGE-URL-HERE[/img]
  • To add Youtube video just paste a video link like http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0x_gnfpL3RM